Thursday, August 03, 2006

ubuntu - a Linux base operating system

One of the things I've begun looking into is Linux. As a non-Linux native, I've always wondered about it. Many times I'd hear people whispering of its superior power over the Windows platform,
and yet so few of my closest friends have actually made the move.

One thing I've always hold to when going through a major software or hardware change is to have some other close friend who's already been there and could help answering my tech questions. Up until now, the closest my friends got to the Linux platform is to use it at work or at university. Non of them really installed or set it up, or even used it on a daily basis that will make them able to answer my tech quarries. Therefore, if I wanted to get to know Linux I would have to figure it out on my own.

About several months ago I first heard the phrase ubuntu. I had heard before of several other Linux versions, like Red Had, Mandriva and SUSE. This one, however, caught my attention.



The thing that always drove me away from installing a different OS to the ones I know was the complexity, or rather the lack of guiding tech friends to help guide me through the installation. I wasn't even thinking yet about getting help moving about with the new OS, just installing it.

One of the nice things I've found was that more and more info about ubuntu was coming in through various channels. I saw many ubuntu related posts at digg, which has proved to be a valuable source of tech-info. These posts directed me to several interesting articles about ubuntu, and I'd like to point to my favorite.

Since I was interested in learning to install a desktop, but also a server I found at the HowtoForge a great link to explain with pictures how the process is done. Guiding through the different screenshots of everything, I found it very useful and very interesting.

Another link I'm fond of is at the Free Software Magazine, an article which describes how to change the way the OS looks and feels. It is, of course, very useful and very important, since non of my friends could really help me with it. On top of that, I think that customizing you OS to your feel, your vibe, is the best thing to do when you install an OS. And it's also a lot more fun.

I am always on the lookout for more links of ubuntu and Linux related stuff. Though I have fiddled around with the ubuntu LiveCD, I have not yet installed it.

Labels: ,

StumbleUpon Toolbar Digg this button Reddit button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home